The Edinburgh International Book Festival is opening this weekend and we’re very very excited. It’s an oasis amongst the hustle and bustle of the fringe, and the festival village at the art school is a great place to spend an afternoon….
You can look at the list of all the children’s events here – there are 150 events, activities and workshops for children and young adults.
There are lots of ways to enjoy this year’s festivities: join at in-person to take in the great atmosphere, enjoy free screenings of live events on the big screen in the Courtyard, or watch online from the comfort of your own home.
The Book Festival Village at Edinburgh College of Art on Lauriston Place is open daily from 9.30am until late – entry is free. The Festival Bookshop located in the beautiful old Fire Station building stocks titles by all the visiting authors and has an area dedicated to children stacked to the rafters with hundreds of titles, from classic picture books for budding readers through to contemporary teen fiction.
There are free drop in events too – including :
- Meet some of your favourite picture book characters! Head on down to the Courtyard to join animal friends Pip and Posy, meet the Gruffalo or embrace being who you are with Elmer the Patchwork Elephant. A picture book character will appear every Saturday and Sunday of the Festival, with details on when each is appearing here.
- Join Festival favourites Sprog Rock as they create their own mini music festival on the outdoor Courtyard Stage! Live, interactive, lots of fun for babies and youngsters of all ages – and their family and friends. (Sat 27 Aug 10:00 – 11:00)
- Storytelling panto dame Mama G, plus some very special guests, to the Courtyard Stage for stories and songs in this cheerful celebration of acceptance, inclusion and love suitable for all ages. (Sat 27 Aug 11:30 – 13:30)
- From 22-26 August they’re bringing the outdoors inside in the Baillie Gifford Storytime Yurt with Woodland Wonderland. Immerse yourself in beautiful woodland décor, unwind with the ambient sounds of nature and relax in the glow of atmospheric lighting for a moment of calm amidst the Festival fun.
- Visit Dr Book in the Book Festival Bookshop to discover your next great read! Drop in for a quick consultation and receive a reading prescription – tailored to your or your little one’s tastes – that will soothe all ills. (Tuesday 16 August 10:00 – 13:00)